Release of Kaffe 1.0 Beta 4
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 17:23:53 -0700
The Kaffe core team is pleased to announce the release of Kaffe OpenVM
1.0 Beta 4. You can find information about the release at:
The release can be downloaded from either
ftp://ftp.transvirtual.com:/pub/kaffe or an appropriate mirror.
This release fixes a ton of things so we strongly suggest you upgrade.
Here's a summary of what's new:
* New Java extensions:
o Personal Java extensions
o Serial port stuff: javax.comm (untested)
o Servlets: javax.servlet (untested)
* Revamped class loading, supporting class unloading
* Revamped and much more efficient garbage collection
o More efficient allocator
o New, cleaner gc interface
* Cleaner threads interface
o Linux native threads (incomplete)
* Use of libtool and automake for portability
* Fully intern'd strings and UTF8 constants
* Support for BeOS and OSKit
* Swing improvements - now supports Swing 1.1
* Object Serialization overhall - still buggy but mostly working
* Beans and reflection work better now
* StackOverFlowErrors now generated
* New java.lang.Character for real Unicode handling.
* Improved GC handling of strings
* Socket timeouts
* Lots of bug fixes.
Tim Wilkinson Tel: +1 510 704 1660
Transvirtual Technologies, Inc., Fax: +1 510 704 1893
Berkeley, CA, USA. Email: email@example.com