Unix must have a stable, fast Java VM

Joaquin jm041536 at dasb.fhda.edu
Wed Apr 16 14:54:27 PDT 1997

> BTW, the product Joaquin mentioned (JavaPC) is intended as a replacement
> for DOS.  It allows an old 486 to become a network computer (NC).  At
> least that's my understanding.  In that respect, $100 is cheap since it
> allows a company to upgrade an "obsolete" PC into a NC rather than
> buying a new NC for $700-$1500.  It's not intended for individuals.
>
> ++Brian

For clarification:
  At the JavaOne convention the CEO of Sun was toting this as the Windows
Downgrade Kit.  The CEO of Corel stated that Sun was indeed a port Java to
DOS.  The press release may call it an upgrade which can have different
interpreted meanings.  To me, it means upgrading of hardware, while to Sun
it could merely mean distributing Java for DOS.  This may mean putting a
line in AUTOEXEC.BAT to launch a Java system to us, and to others it could
mean "replacing" the old system.

It is all relative, but from the information I gleaned from the JavaOne
conference, this was indeed Java for the DOS or "Windows Downgrade Kit".
My only concern is that they may not ship a seperate version for
developers that is free, which doesn't need to include their JavaView
software browser or other packages.

 - joaquin

// Java = Windows--;