Timings (simple comparison)

e.fraga at ucl.ac.uk e.fraga at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 18 09:18:06 PDT 1997

Hello,

Just wanted to say two things:

1. I've been very impressed with the kaffe package and would like to
thank all the people involved in it (Tim et al)!  The latest releases
have worked extremely well and I'm now using it as my system of choice.

2. I've done a simple comparison for one of my standalone applications
which is a recursive search procedure with a large number of object
creation (and a relatively significant amount of floating point
arithmetic [about 1/3 of total computation]). The timings (in seconds),
for a reasonable problem, on a Pentium Pro 200, running Red Hat Linux
4.1 are:

	Sun JDK 1.0.2	168
	kaffe 0.8.4	 60
	toba beta 5	 42

All compilations included optimization.

I'm particularly impressed with the little apparent difference between
kaffe and toba (a Java to C converter which, by the by, works extremely
well as well). I had expected a much more significant difference.

cheers,
eric
--
Eric S Fraga, Chem & Biochem Eng, UCL. http://minerva.chemeng.ucl.ac.uk/eric/