Bytecode verification

Tim Wilkinson tim at tjwassoc.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 09:32:42 PDT 1997

So I've finally settled down to write a bytecode verifier for Kaffe
(which'll please a lot of people).  Now while I was doing this I came
across one aspect of the verification which doesn't seem to be well
documented in the JVM book.  Here's the problem: What types should the
local variables be given at the start of an exception handler?  Should
is be a merge of all possible locals from anywhere in the exception
block?  This seems rather heavy handed to me, but perhas there's an
alternative?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Tim
--
  Tim Wilkinson                         Tel/Fax: +44 181 440 0658
  T. J. Wilkinson & Associates,         Mobile:  +44 370 621006
  London, UK.                           Email:   tim at tjwassoc.co.uk