Minimal Kaffe

Archie Cobbs archie at whistle.com
Wed Aug 20 10:45:07 PDT 1997

> I am looking for a VM implementation suitable for running on a embedded
> system. Therefor size must be minimal and even a partial VM
> implementation might be acceptable (no floats for example, no garbage
> collection), you can see it as the VM for a javacard or something like a
> small terminal. I compiled kaffe at home and the size came around 200k
> bytes (kaffe????.so).

There's a good white paper on Sun's Java site called "Using Java
as an Embedded O/S" or something equivalent. It describes just such
a minimal O/S necessary to support a Java VM.

One interesting thing is that virtual memory is unecessary;
a completely flat memory space suffices (assuming your base O/S
is already free of memory leaks, etc. :-)

-Archie