core dump on Linux

Graffiti espresso at S16-cs2-alhambra.datadepot.com
Sat Aug 23 00:12:46 PDT 1997

> Hello,
> I'm getting consistent core dumps with kaffe-0.9.1 that has
> been patched with Tim Wilkinson's patch posted on 29 Jun 1997.
>
> I'm using
> 	GNU C libc6 2.0.4
> 	gcc 2.7.2.2
> 	linux kernel 2.1.51 with headers from same
>
> Compilation goes fine and there are no errors.
>
> I've installed in /usr/local/kaffe
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/kaffe/lib
> KAFFEHOME=/usr/local/kaffe
> CLASSPATH=/usr/local/kaffe/share/lib/classes.zip
>
> When I run kaffe on the HelloWorldApp example, I get:
>
> cow:~/apps/kaffe/kaffe-0.9.1/test$ kaffe HelloWorldApp
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I was getting this too, so I played around a bit.  It turns out
that libkaffe_vm.so.0.91 was being linked to libc.so.6, libm.so.6,
/lib/ld-linux.so.2, and *libdl.so.1*.  Do a 'ldd libkaffe_vm.so.0.91'
and see if it reports libdl.so.1.  If it does, compile a static
shell, exec that.  The reason being some shells are dynamically linked
against libdl.so.1.

By removing libdl.so.1, you can force gcc to use libdl.so.2.  I don't
know how to force it to do so at compile-time via an options switch,
though (anyone?).

What I did was basically:

su
cd /lib
mkdir backup
mv libdl.so libdl.so.1* backup
exit
cd ~/src/kaffe-0.91/kaffe/kaffevm
make clean
make
cd ..
make install
ldconfig
exit

I'm sure there's an easier way, I'm just too lazy to think up of
one. :)

Have fun!

-- DAN (btw, my real email addx is ramuneATdatadepotDOTcom)