Kaffe 0.9.0 Memory Problems

Ian Brown inb at creare.com
Tue Jun 17 09:50:08 PDT 1997

I have a problem with running out of memory under Kaffe 0.9.0.  I'm
running RedHat Linux 4.1.

I was looking over the archives to see if anyone else had this problem
and noted a couple of messages talking about memory, but they did not
really seem to resolve the problem.

Basically, what I have is a server that handles storing and distribution
of data.  I have a client that sends a bunch of data to the server.
Running the server under kaffe 0.8.1 or under the latest jdk version of
Java (jdk 1.1.1v3), the code runs to completion.  Under the jdk version,
the memory usage grows about 700K (~7000 to ~7700 according to top).

Running the same thing under Kaffe grows about 15000K (~12000 to ~27000
according to top), at which point it runs out of memory.

The original article that I saw in the archive asked whether a memory
problem might be a garbage collection problem.  The answers seemed to
ignore this possibility, but based on my results, I'd say that there
might be a problem with GC.

As the author of the original note said, I'm going to try throwing in a
few explicit calls to the GC and see what happens.

Ian (inb at creare.com)