First gcc-compiled Java program runs!

Per Bothner bothner at cygnus.com
Tue Jun 17 14:12:28 PDT 1997

> Is there such information available now?

Not to my knowledge.

> Or are you (cygnus!) simply drawing from your years of experience
> with the gnu tools?

Basically.

> Another issue is that I compared programs written in a high level language
> (Sather) that were compiled either through C or through Java class files.
> It seemed to me that one bottleneck of the JVM is the lack of stack
> allocation.  One optimization therefore would be to determine in advance
> that certain objects can safely be allocated on the stack.  Is such a
> thing feasible in your compiler?

It may be feasible, but it is not easy.  You need to know that if you
pass a refernce to sme method, it does not save that references in
any global variable or array.  Some kind of compiler-generated annotation
in the class files may help.

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner at cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner