Kaffe 0.9.0 runtime problems

David E. Young dey at ascend2-dey.fns.com
Wed Jun 18 07:06:05 PDT 1997

Greetings. I just built and installed Kaffe 0.9.0, and am experiencing
some runtime problems. The particulars:

  * Kaffe 0.9.0 (kaffe-0.9.0.tgz, kaffe-0.9.0-package-javasoft.com.tgz)

  * Gcc 2.7.2

  * RedHat 4.0, Linux kernel revision 2.0.30

  * Pentium 166, 32MB RAM, plenty of disk space.

When executing a Java class file, upon start-up the VM immediately
prints "Library load failed: File not found", then continues. The
sample program included with the distribution (HelloWorldApp.java)
runs successfully; however, a more complicated program we've written
that creates a number of threads fails with:

  java.lang.NullPointerException
          at java/lang/Thread.init(line unknown, pc 0x80e1122)
          at java/lang/Thread.<init>(line unknown, pc 0x80dc3bf)
          at Runner.<init>(101)
          at Starved.main(81)

This program executes correctly under Solaris 2.5.1 (JDK 1.1.1) and
the Sun JDK Linux port (JDK 1.1.1).

I have the environment configured as per the Kaffe README (and
following the 'ENVIRONMENT' file created during the build). To be
specific:

export CLASSPATH
export KAFFEHOME
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

CLASSPATH=.:/usr/local/share/kaffe/classes.zip:$CLASSPATH
KAFFEHOME=/usr/local/share/kaffe
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

(/usr/local/bin is already in my PATH)

There were no problems during build or installation. I've poked around
the mail digest on http://opera.inrialpes.fr/tools/Kaffe/messages/,
and have also read the FAQ that comes with the distribution.

We're building a large, "system-level" piece of software (100% Java),
and would like to do parallel builds on Linux using Kaffe. I'd
appreciate any assistance.

Regards,

David E. Young
Fujitsu Network Communications  "I claim not to have controlled
(dey at fns.com)                    events, but confess plainly
                                 that events have controlled me."
                                  -- Abraham Lincoln (1864)
"Apology is Policy"