Kaffe 0.9.0 on Solaris bug

David Young d_young at fujitsu-fnc.com
Thu Jun 19 13:09:09 PDT 1997

Greetings. I've discovered what appears to be a bug in the Solaris
2.5.1 implementation of Kaffe 0.9.0. The following code snippet is
from a much large application; running this class results in a
NullPointerException:

Mr. Peabody: javac -g Schtum.java
Mr. Peabody: Kaffe Schtum
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at Schtum.<init>(12)
        at Schtum.main(5)

I haven't yet tried this code on Linux.

****** cut here **********

public class Schtum {
    public static void main(String argv[])
    {
        new Schtum();
    }

    public Schtum()
    {
        Class formals[] = new Class[2];

        try {
            formals[0] = Class.forName("java.lang.String");
        } catch (ClassNotFoundException exc) {
            System.out.println(exc);
        }
    }
}

This code runs correctly with Sun's VM, on both Solaris 2.5.1 and
Linux 2.0.30. Your help is appreciated.

Regards,

David E. Young
Fujitsu Network Communications  "I claim not to have controlled
(d_young at fujitsu-fnc.com)        events, but confess plainly
                                 that events have controlled me."
                                  -- Abraham Lincoln (1864)
"Apology is Policy"