Linking kaffe needs fix to find libraries

Glynn Clements glynn at sensei.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 12:26:26 PDT 1997

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> When linking kaffe it should be added -lW,-rpath,${prefix}/lib so the
> binary will find the libraries.

No, please. -rpath is evil. It means that you have to have the
libraries in the location specified at compile time.

A much better solution is to fix your runtime loader configuration. On
Linux, either add the appropriate directories to /etc/ld.so.conf or
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately.

While I'm on the subject of -rpath, a completely off topic question:

Does anyone know if you can get rid of the -rpath specification from
an existing binary? I use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to specify libXaw3d instead
of the standard libXaw; unfortunately anything that's been compiled
with -rpath ignores it.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn at sensei.co.uk>