Compilation of Kaffe-0.8.3 on RH 2.0.27

Henry Katz hkatz at hkatz.dialup.access.net
Sun Mar 30 20:33:48 PST 1997

Kaffe blows up in kaffe/kaffevm in external.c because the dlopen()
call has the library handle incorrectly defined:

gcc -g -O  -I. -I. -I./../../config -I../../config -I../../include
-DINTERPRETER
 -I./intrp   -DKVER=\"0.83\" -c -fPIC external.c
external.c:67: parse error before `libHandle'
external.c:67: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

Looking here we see:

static LIBRARYHANDLE libHandle[MAXLIBS];

and LIBRARYHANDLE comes from slib.h in the same dir (kaffe/kaffevm) which
has 4 possibilities for LIBRARYHANDLE depending on what kind of box you're
on. According to dlopen(3), we see dlfcn referenced immediately:

#include <dlfcn.h>

which is consistent with the args for the dlopen() which is what I started
out with above.

Unfortunately my configure (./configure --enable-shared sparc-gnu-linux)
does not see dlfcn.h. So is this copied AT&T header that I see on my
Solaris box missing from RH? I've searched on Jim Mintha's home page
for dlfcn and only found notes with older problems with dlopen() presumably
now resolved.

I'm running on RH 4.0 upgraded to 2.0.27 from vger (rutgers).

In a nutshell, has anyone really built 0.8.3 on sparc-linux (RH preferably)?

Thanks,
Henry

--
Enterprise Admin,      | Henry Katz,MS  net: hkatz@{panix,lehman}.com
Systems Engineering,   | ISCS, Inc.     vox: 201.524.4069 fax: 201.524.4349