A bug with automatic variables and finally

Erik Schnetter erik.schnetter at student.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue May 6 10:33:33 PDT 1997

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Richard Henderson wrote:

> Unfortunately I see slim point to finally/catch blocks if somewhat strict
> and "unsurprising" semantics are not guaranteed.  Anyone know how the
> current crop of C++ compilers is handling this issue?  Surely they must
> have the same problems.

Why should they?  C++ is not multithreaded.  And variables that live
across exceptions have to be declared "volatile" (is this correct?).
There is no such "volatile" modifier for local variables in Java, resp.
every local variable is "volatile".

-erik

-----
Erik Schnetter, erik.schnetter at student.uni-tuebingen.de

Arthur C. Clarke saw the future.
	He knew it would be run by huge computers.
		And he was right.		Just not about the size.