JNI support?

Andy Ross andy at ics.com
Wed May 7 12:00:09 PDT 1997

Now that the "official" JDK 1.1.1 has been released for Linux, I'm
starting to think about the use of Kaffe as a drop-in replacement for
the Sun JVM.  All the native libraries provided seem to be in JNI format
(cursorily anyway -- I just looked at the symbol names in the shared
libraries), so presumably the only large missing piece in Kaffe would be
support for the JNI standard.  How seriously has anyone looked at doing
this?  How much would be involved?

I might be willing to volunteer some time, though unfortunately ICS has
a copy of the JDK 1.0.2 source which would, I believe, disqualify me.

Am I right that the rest of the JVM spec has changed little or not at
all?  I know that inner classes, at least, are implemented using only
naming conventions in the class files and don't require any knowlege on
the part of the interpreter.

If anyone could fill me in, I'd be very interested.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross      Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc.
andy at ics.com        201 Broadway