Compiling with Kaffe 0.9.0 on Linux

Gernot Koller gernot at Yak.md.at
Fri May 23 06:58:07 PDT 1997

I searched the FAQ and the Mailing-list archive but couldn't find an answer,
so pleas don't flame me if this all is well known and a faq.

I have problems with the Kaffe 0.9  and JDK 1.1.1 on Linux.
After Compiling the ENVIRONMENT said:

Yak:/usr/local/kaffe-0.9.0 # cat ENVIRONMENT=20
CLASSPATH=3D.:/usr/local/share/kaffe/classes.zip
KAFFEHOME=3D/usr/local/share/kaffe
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=3D/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PATH=3D/usr/local/bin:$PATH
export CLASSPATH KAFFEHOME LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH

Setting the Classpath to /usr/local/share/kaffe/clases.zip only results in
an java.lang.NoSuchMethodError when starting the javac-script.
Setting the Classpath to Sun's original clases.zip
/usr/local/jdk1.1.1/lib/classes.zip seems to solve this problem.

Still make test in the test directory doesn't pass all the tests. I attached
the results on the end of this mail.

Running the benchmarks (e.g. symantec) Kaffe actually turns out to be about
8 - 10 times faster than Sun's virtual machine.
Suprisingly this seems not to be true when it comes to compiling. Running
Suns Compiler on the original VM always wins the race against Kaffe, beeing
about 2 - 3 times faster. And this only, if javac on Kaffe actually can
end its task. Compiling the symantec benchmark sources on the original VM
takes about 9 seconds:

Yak:/usr/local/kaffe-0.9.0/test/benchmarks/symantec # time javac *.java
8.93user 0.44system 0:09.69elapsed 96%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

While running this task on the kaffe VM it seems to get into an endless loop.
I stopped the process after about 10 minutes. Surprisingly this doesn't seem to
happen when I compile the files one at a time.

So my question is, is this a bug in Kaffe, or am I doing something wrong ?

--
Gernot Koller  -   Technical University Vienna/Austria        *
gernot at kr.tuwien.ac.at / e9125878 at student.tuwien.ac.at        Ö