Improving Java for Linux

Tony Kimball Anthony.Kimball at East.Sun.COM
Fri Nov 7 13:00:52 PST 1997

Quoth Jim Pick on , 7 November:
:
: > Using a nonstandard extension also means that any Java program you write
: > won't be useable for anyone who isn't using your platform (which is why
: > Microsoft wants people to use their API)
:
: But is that so bad if it is a GNU platform, which is supported even on
: Win32, OS/2 and Rhapsody?

Now perhaps it would be useful to clearly distinguish the VM, the
installation platform, and the application distribution.  If I write
a Java app using your freeware API, I can include the implementaiton
of the freeware API in my compiled app distribution.  That's cool.
But if you make the freeware API a part of the freeware installation
platform, you break the portability goal.  Now if the freeware API
can be installed on any installation platform, and is readily
available, then my objection goes away -- but you should be aware
that most users are not competent to handle this sort of operation,
and many users (of NCs) will not be permitted to do it.  Moreover,
that portability only holds if you restrict native calls to using JNI.

: But if you ship a JVM with your app (as JavaSoft advocates) - why can't
: you ship the one you want to ship.

JavaSoft would advocate that wouldn't they, since they get 6 figures
for every app that does it!