Kaffe vs. Alpha-Linux

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Tue Aug 4 08:56:24 PDT 1998

 Felix,

these problems have been reported before by Petter Reinholdtsen on July 26.
The alpha JIT port is currently listed as one of the platforms that
have "fallen behind recent changes"
Rick Geer provided a sysdepCallMethod macro with which the interpreter
runs (if I interpret his mail from July 15 right).  If you bring the
jit up-to-date, I encourage you to send the fixes.

Basically, you'll have to determine SP_OFFSET for the alpha; you'll have
to find out whether its frame pointer needs to be manipulated too, and if
so, define FP_OFFSET.  You can either look in <setjmp.h>, or I can send
you a test program that finds out what it is.

Some comments about jit.h that might help:

The macro FRAMEOKAY() is only used by the version that uses jit AND
unix-internal.  For unix-jthreads, I felt that putting this macro in jit.h
would violate encapsulation, so I replaced it with jthread_on_current_stack.
It is only used from within the threading system, namely in TnextFrame.

The macro NEXTFRAME is obsolete, no longer used, should be removed.
It's replaced by Kaffe_ThreadInterface.nextFrame which exception.c uses
to walk the frames.

The other macros in jit.h, as far as I can see, are still needed and you must
implement them properly for the alpha.

	- Godmar