Good news for HP-UX users

Pavel.Roskin at ecsoft.co.uk Pavel.Roskin at ecsoft.co.uk
Tue Aug 18 06:44:08 PDT 1998

Hello!

Good news: sysdepCallMethod for HP-UX (PA-RISC processor) can naw handle
arguments of size 4 and can return integer, long and pointer. That's enough
to run HelloWorldApp in interp mode :-) I hope to send my results before
this weekend.
Non-working situations (long or double argument, float or double result)
are protected by assert() calls in the moment.
Unfortunately, I can't get anything else running because of some strange
errors. Following happens if I try to run Unico.class:

0x2ed48 in loadNativeLibrarySym (name=0x0) at external.c:182
182             LIBRARYFUNCTION(func, name);
(gdb)

I added assert(name==NULL) before this instruction, but it never hits. It
seems something is wrong with gdb.
gdb-4.17, gcc-2.7.2.3, HP-UX 10.20.
CFLAGS='-g' ./configure --host=hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20 --with-staticlib
--with-engine=intrp --with-threads=unix-internal

Anyway, there are two patches, which can be applied right now.
1) kaffe-main.diff provides workaround for a bug in gcc-2.7.2.3 which
generates buggy code here (at least without optimization and for hppa
target). It is better to exclude the whole "if" statement rather than have
an empty branch after "if".
2) kaffe-shlib.diff provides LIBSHARE value for the HP-UX linker and fixes
a syntax error in LIBRARYFUNCTION definition (break not within loop or
switch). It also changes "???" to "HP-UX" in a comment, since nobody knows,
which other OS'es use this definition :-)
I have tested both patches. Shared libraries are actually loaded by the
affected call. Diff's have been made on the machine, where the testing took
place.

Pavel Roskin
ECsoft
London, UK

(See attached file: kaffe-shlib.diff)(See attached file: kaffe-main.diff)