compiling Kaffe for win32 !

Pavel.Roskin at ecsoft.co.uk Pavel.Roskin at ecsoft.co.uk
Fri Aug 14 08:42:40 PDT 1998

Hello!

I believe that nobody succeded even on UNIX with compilers other than gcc
and egcs, because all sysdepCallMethod() implementations use asm()
directives with arguments, which are only understood by gcc and egcs.
The only possibility to make Kaffe more or less portable is to rewrite
sysdepCallMethod() as a function in pure assembler and put it to a separate
file. I'm working on this problem under HP-UX 10.20 and Kaffe already says
"Hello World!".
It is not difficult to compile Kaffe using Cygwin32. MinGW and RSX should
also work with more tuning. But you may face major problems with socket
implemenation if you want to use MSVC. I  have no information about X
libraries compiled with MSVC, so you will have Kaffe without AWT.
Anyway, if you really want to port it, do it!

Pavel Roskin