java.awt.list & java.awt,Component recurse

peter at transvirtual.com peter at transvirtual.com
Fri Dec 4 08:35:18 PST 1998

On Fri, 04 Dec 1998, Parmelan, Edouard wrote:
>The following patch add missing makeVisible() method
>in java.awt.list.

Thanx. You also have to "this-" qualify the local makeVisible() calls in
ItemPane (to avoid ambiguities).

>I extract from BurnIT the following test case that  shows a bug in AWT.
>Basicly, the paint method of this class call setBounds()
>for one on his component.  Component.setBounds() then recall paint().
>etc until StackOverflow.

Oh lord - a proof for my theory that everything ill that can be thought out
will eventually be done. It's easy to make Component.repaint(..) async (via
the queue, like it is done for a non-zero repaint delay). But this is
another way to slow down the system. And the spec just says it should "call
update() as soon as possible" - which can also mean immediate. Looks rather
like we need another fix to make a bug work..

-- Peter