Clarification on my comment w/1.0b3 on the netwinder

Dirk Grunwald grunwald at pa.dec.com
Thu Dec 10 12:36:33 PST 1998

The problem I'm running into is the same problem I encountered on the
Alpha when the code for the stack-frame layout was incorrect.

In particular, both the ARM and Alpha pass arguments in registers. For
the arm, 4 arguments are passed in register. Additional arguments are
placed in the call frame.

When running the interpreter, things fail immediately for me after a
call is made using 5 arguments. This leads me to believe that the
arguments are possibly not being set up properly, or that the stack
management code is incorrect. This was the problem on the Alpha, but
it only occured there when using optimization (since that caused the
code to not use an FP, and base everything from an SP).

However, the problem I'm seeing (see below) occurs even when
the ARM code is compiled with -O0.

Before spending a lot of time on this, I'd like to see if anyone else
has actually gotten 1.0b3 to work on an ARM system -- it might be a
compiler bug on the system I'm using.

Call: java/lang/String.getChars(II[CI)V.
Call: java/lang/System.arraycopy(Ljava/lang/Object;ILjava/lang/Object;II)V.
Cal with 5 args
Call: java/lang/NullPointerException.<init>()V.
Call: java/lang/RuntimeException.<init>()V.
Call: java/lang/Exception.<init>()V.
Call: java/lang/Throwable.<init>()V.
Call: java/lang/Object.<init>()V.
Call: java/lang/Throwable.fillInStackTrace()Ljava/lang/Throwable;.
Cal with 1 args