RMI support?

Tom Gall tgall at uswest.net
Mon Dec 28 22:26:42 PST 1998

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Dec 23, 1998, Christopher Smith <cbsmith at envise.com> wrote:
>
> > I'll check which classes. I seem to recall it was the sun.io.* classes. I
> > was using the version IBM provides to patch Microsoft's VM. Perhaps there
> > is another version without such problems?
>
> Maybe the same ByteConverter stuff that makes HotJava not 100% Pure
> Java :-(

It's more than that. Some of the implementation of RMI is native methods that
needto do some inspection of objects as well as pickling and the like. These
methods are not
hard to write but you've got to be pretty knowledgeable in the full RMI
interworkings
as well as the deep down details of objects inside of the JVM.

Sun has an RMI spec that has enough of the information in it one can figure it
all out.

Tom