Kiev & out-of-memory

Maxim Kizub max at immsp.kiev.ua
Mon Dec 7 06:56:33 PST 1998

Hello.

Sorry for late answer. I had problems with my ISP...

About kiev... As a standard test I use compiling
kiev itself. Kiev is written in kiev ;-) It was bootstrapped
with pizza, but from version 0.01 may be compiled with
kiev only...

Next. There should be small difference between one file and
all file compilation. Kiev is a two-pass compiler, first, it scans
all sources to find out all classes and methods, in second
stage it compiles files separatly. Espesial care was done to
cleanup all info about already compiled files. In practice,
to compile full kiev project the memory usage grows from
8 Mb after scanning to 12-13 Mb to compile all files
(I use a global array to store identifiers in UTF8 format,
so, it can't be collected).

Kaffe (as well, as japhar) uses about 32 mb of memory to
scan files, and throws OutOfMemory exception shortly
after start of second (actual parsing) stage.

I'll update kaffe from CVS and will see new results today.
I also upgraded my computer to have 64 MB and hope,
that it will be enough... I'll send results later...