Clarification on my comment w/1.0b3 on the netwinder

Raffaele Sena raff at aromatic.com
Thu Dec 10 13:27:14 PST 1998

On 10 Dec 1998, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> > Kiyo reported at one point that it would work without optimization,
> > but not when compiled with optimization.  I forgot what architecture
> > that was for.
>
> I think it was m68k

	The latest Kaffe sources (as this afternoon) builds and
	work fine on ARM/Linux/NetWinder (using gcc 2.8.1).

	I tried compiling with the default options ( -g -O2 ),
	without frame pointer ( -g -O -fomit-frame-pointer ) and
	with maximum optimization and no frame pointer ( -O99
	-fomit-frame-pointer )

	I noticed that in all the cases the function
	kaffe/kaffevm/support.c:callMethodA (that uses sysdepCallMethod)
	always uses the frame pointer. Maybe gcc recognize the dynamic
	array and does not optimize the function.

	It would be interesting to know what code egcs generates for
	the function.

-- Raffaele