Linux 2.0/2.1 incompatibility may cause kaffe to fail

Parmelan, Edouard EP510777 at exchange.FRANCE.NCR.com
Mon Dec 14 06:43:27 PST 1998

Linux 2.1 handle SA_SIGINFO witch changes the prototype of
the signal handler (EXCEPTIONPROTO):
without SA_SIGINFO in sigaction:
  int sig, struct sigcontext_struct ctx
or
  int sig, struct sigcontext ctx
with SA_SIGINFO in sigaction (linux 2.1):
  int sig, struct siginfo *sip, struct ucontext *ctx

I quick read includes on a linux-2.0 glibc2 config and
SA_SIGINFO is not defined.  So, SA_SIGINFO is not handle
in glibc 2.0.6 (aka libc6).

> Recent bug reports concerning exception handling in kaffe are most
> likely caused by this.
>
> Building on 2.0 and running it on 2.1 or vice versa will not
> work.  Always build and run on the same version of Linux.
compiling on 2.0 and running on 2.1 does work.
but compiling on 2.1 and running on 2.0 does not work.

Edouard.