ExceptionInInitializerError on RedHat 5.1

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Tue Dec 15 13:06:22 PST 1998

To eliminate non-kaffe related problems, let me ask you whether
your applications runs on Sun's JDK 1.1.6 or later.

Version 1.1.3 of Sun's JDK and probably earlier versions used to simply
ignore ExceptionInInitializerErrors if they occurred before the main
method of the program was reached.

So, if one of your static initializers threw an exception, this fact
was simply ignored.

Also, you shouldn't have to set your CLASSPATH to include Klasses.jar.
The CLASSPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are set by the driver script ---
it's just like Sun's JDK.

Finally, you could try the latest snapshot from transvirtual.com and
see whether your problem persists.
You should also try to run the testsuite (cd to test, type 'make test')

	- Godmar