Classes in ROM

Michael Schroeder guest80 at himh1.hi.bosch.de
Mon Feb 2 02:33:47 PST 1998

> > > Has anyone yet tried to modify the basic class files in a way they can
> > >
> > > Just curious.. why would you want to do that? I don't think it would
> > > make kaffe any faster. You also need all the properties files too...
> >
> > I have a system with extremely low RAM and o lot more space in ROM.
> > So it would help having the classfiles in ROM in an executable form.
> > Another problem is that there is actually no filesystem.
>
> Well, you can certainly put the class files into read-only storage
> if you want.. but that doesn't mean they have to be compiled into
> kaffe. Class files are pretty much "read only" in Java.
>
> When you say "executable form" .. you mean post-JIT? Ah, now I think
> I understand. Not sure how to do this. Perhaps kaffe should have an
> option to compile a class file into JIT form and store it somewhere
> for later reloading (so you can skip the JIT step).

Let me try to explain what I mean by saying "executable form".
Kaffe floads the necessary classes into memory when they are nedded.
They are stored in some kind of struct class and a method structure.

I would like to save these structures in a kind of include-file and
integrate them into the executable.

Has anyone tried something like this or can you imagine something
similar ?
I do not have a filesystem, so that the classes cannot be loaded at
runtime.

Michael