kaffe-1.0.b1 probs on Linux

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 09:01:01 PDT 1998

Godmar Back wrote:

> > You may still include classes.zip *after* Klasses.jar, if you still
> > wish to run `javac', for example, but this is illegal, because
> > classes.zip is not GPL'ed, and you can't link GPL'ed and non-GPL'ed
> > code together.
> >

> I think it's only illegal if you plan on distributing it.  Running
> it should be fine.
>
> Also, it's not just javac: Kaffe still doesn't have a javap, serialver,
> rmic, and rmiregistry.

classes.zip is not "linked" to any GPLed code in this case, IMO. It
seems to me that if this were true, it would be a breach of GPL to run,
for example, Apache on Linux. And since several Linux vendors bundle it,
I find that a little hard to believe.

OTOH, Kaffe should have a Berkeley licence, then we wouldn't even have
to debate the question.

Cheers,

Ben.

and Technical Director|Email: ben at algroup.co.uk |