kaffe-1.0.b1 probs on Linux

Nathan Lutchansky Nathan_Lutchansky at legis.state.ak.us
Wed Jul 15 11:56:10 PDT 1998

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Godmar Back wrote:

> > You may still include classes.zip *after* Klasses.jar, if you still
> > wish to run `javac', for example, but this is illegal, because
> > classes.zip is not GPL'ed, and you can't link GPL'ed and non-GPL'ed
> > code together.
> >

> I think it's only illegal if you plan on distributing it.  Running
> it should be fine.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.  Godmar is correct here.  Quoting
from the GPL:

"Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
Program (independent of having been made by running the Program)."

So as far as Kaffe's license is concerned, you could run with any set of
Java classes or any other system libraries.   -Nathan