kaffe-1.0.b1 probs on Linux

Robert S. Thau rst at ai.mit.edu
Wed Jul 15 13:47:55 PDT 1998

Alexandre Oliva writes:
 > Actually, as Paul Fischer has pointed out to me in private, you can
 > link GPL'ed code with other free licences such as Berkeley-like ones,
 > but not with non-free software.

Hmmm... I thought that was "*some* other free licenses".  In
particular, I've seen a number of different licenses all called "the
Berkeley license", some of which are compatible with the GPL, and some
of which aren't.

In particular, the license for most of the kernel and system code
written at UC Berkeley itself is not compatible with the GPL; the
problem is that it requires the advertising of derived works to
mention the Berkeley code (but not to imply endorsement!).  This is in
conflict with the GPL, section 2b:

    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.

... which requires the modified work *as a whole* to be redistributed
under GPL terms, without any additional restrictions or modifications
(see GPL, section 8).  Requiring acknowledgment (and restricting its
form) is an additional restriction, and it is therefore not legal to
distribute a work containing GPL code and one of these "BSD-like
licenses".

On the other hand, many BSD partisans have dropped the acknowledgments
clause from their licenses simply because dealing with literally
dozens of acknowledgments to separate individuals becomes a real pain
in the neck.  Distributing a combined work of code under that license
with GPLed code is fine (assuming the combined work is distributed
under terms of the GPL).

Or so I think...

rst