RMI problems with kaffe 0.10.x

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Tue Jun 30 13:04:23 PDT 1998

> It looks like the same error message on both systems.  The .class files
> were copied from one system to the other, so I know they are identical.
> Could Kaffe and Sun's JDK be using a different method for generating
> the unique "signatures" or serial numbers for the classes?  -Nathan

 That's probably close. I've been testing another program that uses
object serialization, and I am seeing similar problems.  Basically, the
lookup in ObjectStreamClass seems to fail mysteriously, causing a
NonSerializableException to be thrown.

I don't have an answer.  I don't know whether the native method in
ObjectStreamClass.c is supposed to simply look up a serial number for
a class, or whether is should generate one if it doesn't have any.

Also, it is not clear where to look it up in.  Currently, it only
looks for a static field with a given name (serialVersionUID or some
such.)  Now if that's everything it's supposed to do, why is it a native
method?  They could have used the reflection API instead, it seems.  Or
is it for security reasons that they didn't?

I'd be interested to know what you find out.

	- Godmar