[Q] Endian-ness checks when cross-compiling

Edwin Foo efoo at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 12 07:04:56 PDT 1998

Hello,

I've been trying to configure a cross-compilation environment for kaffe
without having to manually change too many files. The target OS/CPU is
Linux/StrongARM, and I'm currently using this command line for ./configure:

[efoo at giskard ~/kaffe]$ ./configure
--prefix=/home/efoo/build/kaffe-arm-linuxaout
--includedir=/usr/local/arm-unknown-linuxaout
--libdir=/usr/local/arm-unknown-linuxaout --host=i386-linux
--target=arm32-linux

My PATH is set to see the cross-compiler in
/usr/local/arm-unknown-linuxaout first, so the gcc found is detected as a
cross compiler. The script gets far enough to check the endianness of the
machine, but then stops and complains as follows:

checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... configure: error: can not
run test program while cross compiling

On looking at the script, it is fairly obvious what isn't working -- the
script simply doesn't know how to handle it. I'd like to know how to
override it and just tell configure what byte-order my target has, but I'm
not clueful enough about configure to know how to do that without just
deleting the byte-order check and setting the variable manually. If anyone
knows more about configure and can let me know how to get past that I'd
appreciate it.

thanks,
Edwin
Edwin Foo        | MIT Computer Science '98 - Systems and Architecture
efoo at mit.edu     | DEC Cambridge Research Lab - Scalable Computing Group
(617) 225-9715   | Residential Computing Consultant (RCC) Developer

       "Love must be sincere; Hate what is evil; cling to what is good."
http://hesed.mit.edu/~efoo                       - Romans 12:9 <><