(fwd) Help needed for linux m68k port

Remi Perrot r_perrot at mail.club-internet.fr
Sun Jun 21 14:31:12 PDT 1998

[ I repost the following message, majordomo choked on the Help keyword
  and blocked the post, Daniel ....

> To: "kaffe" <kaffe at rufus.w3.org>
> From: "Remi Perrot" <r_perrot at mail.club-internet.fr>
> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 22:34:44 +0100
> Subject: Help needed for linux m68k port
]

I'm trying to make kaffe running on m68k linux and I need
some h elp.

First the good news:
The following test pass

        HelloWorldApp
        TestIntLong
        Str
        Str2
        IndexTest
        StackDump
        tname
        IllegalInterface
        GetInterfaces
        SignedShort
        BadFloatTest
        finaltest
        finaltest2
        forNameTest
        KaffeVerifyBug
        Schtum
        Reflect
        Bean
        CLTest

That not bad and there is a other implicit test since I compil
all java class with kaffe sun.tools.javac.Main .

Now the bad news:
the following test don't pass

        ttest
        burford
        DeadThread
        ExecTest
        tthrd1
        ReflectInvoke
        InvTarExcTest
        GCTest

In fact I've 2 kind of problem
1 - ttest, burford, DeadThread, tthrd1 end like this:
        ttest ... error running
        But got instead:
        java.lang.NullPointerException
                at java/lang/Thread.<init>(84)
                at java/lang/Thread.<init>(line unknown, pc 0x6)
                at TestThread.<init>(line unknown, pc 0x1)
                at ttest.main(line unknown, pc 0x4)

    I get a java.lang.NullPointerException every time I call
    method of ThreadGroup.

    for exemple this small program cause a NullPointerException:

        public class GetThreadGroup
        {
                public static void main ( String[] argv )
                {
                        ThreadGroup current_tg;
                        current_tg = Thread.currentThread().getThreadGroup();
                        if ( current_thread_group == null )
                                System.out.println(
                                    "current_tg = null");
                        else
                                System.out.println(
                                    "current_tg = "
                                    + current_tg.getName());

                }
        }

2 - ReflectInvoke and InvTarExcTest give this result:
        ReflectInvoke ... error running
          Should have got:
        2
        8
          But got instead:
        caught java.lang.NullPointerException
        java.lang.NullPointerException
                at ReflectInvoke.main(21)

        InvTarExcTest ... error running
          Should have got:
        Caught itexception: null
                at InvTarExcTest.main(13)
        Target is: throwing inner exception
          But got instead:
        Caught throwable: java.lang.NullPointerException
        java.lang.NullPointerException
                at InvTarExcTest.main(13)
        This should not happen.

I hope that somebody will have an idea to h elp since I think we are very
closer to make kaffe usable on linux m68k with interpreter.

Ad'tchao

---
Remi Perrot
 ( Usenet/Email remi.perrot at mail.dotcom.fr )