Where do I begin?

Aaron Harsh ajh at rentrak.com
Thu Mar 5 09:01:20 PST 1998

Sorry to bother the list with trivia -- I searched the kaffe
distribution, and the list archive, but couldn't find a FAQ entry
that covered them.

I'm considering porting kaffe to Sequent (Dynix/ptx V4.1.3, COFF
mode to be precise), but I'm at a loss as to where to start.  Please
bear with my ridiculous questions until I get up to speed.

Is there a document (other than the source) describing the
architecture?  A glossary (what's a 'trampoline', for instance)?

How will kaffe handle multi-threaded programs given that Sequent has
no support for kernel threads?  I know I won't be able to run a
process across multiple CPUs, but I hope I won't be forced to yield()
manually.

I'm considering trying to port Sun's JDK, too (I'm actually
interested in RMI, but the JIT might persuade me to stay with
kaffe). Is anything I add to Kaffe tainted if I look at Sun's
source?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Aaron Harsh               ajh at rtk.com                 (503)284-7581 x347
Las opiniones aqui expresadas son exclusivamente personales y no representan