Kaffe 0.10.0 on Linux

morendil at micronet.fr morendil at micronet.fr
Thu May 14 09:04:05 PDT 1998

> >Any solutions to running kaffe on linux?  I have libc5, sbb jdk1.1.5v5,
> >and neither the kaffe-0.10.0 or the snapshot of April 25 works.
> >java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: initializeSystemClass

Depending on the version of classes.zip used, the initialization
of the System class is carried out either by System.<clinit>,
which needn't be called explicitly, or by System.initializeSystemClass,
which does. Damned inelegant from Sun to introduce such a
problem, if you ask me.

To fix, look for the call to initializeSystemClass (somewhere in
the JVM initalization code, probably called from kaffe.c right
after reading in CLASSPATH and switches) and comment it
out, or otherwise neuter it. I can't be more specific, I no longer
hack Kaffe since I began work on a JVM written in Java.