Kaffe and AWT?

Glynn Clements glynn at sensei.co.uk
Fri May 29 15:49:27 PDT 1998

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> However, trying to run a simple applet, it failed -- se below.
>
> So I checked the mailing list archives, where some messages apparently
> indicate that AWT is not supported, or perhaps not completely.  Is it
> possible to claim support for JDK 1.1 without AWT support, I wonder?

Well, the AWT relies on their being a concrete subclass of
java.awt.Toolkit available. However, the API specification doesn't
specify any particular toolkit.

The default toolkit is obtained by calling Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(),
which returns an instance of the class specified by the awt.toolkit
property. If this property is undefined, then it attempts to create an
instance of the class sun.awt.motif.MToolkit. The API specification
doesn't require that this class exists.

Also, an application may override the default toolkit by creating a
subclass of java.awt.Window which reimplements the getToolkit() method.
This will result in the window and all of its children using the toolkit
returned by that method.

So, AWT is supported. However, that doesn't mean quite what it may
appear to. The confusion is exacerbated by the fact that Toolkit
implementations such as BISS and SAWT refer to themselves as `AWT's.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn at sensei.co.uk>