A crazy idea

Raffaele Sena raff at aromatic.com
Tue Nov 17 18:20:30 PST 1998

Hello there,

now that I'm almost done with the architecture dependend JIT code for ARM
(well, I'm almost done with the coding - then I expect long nights of
debugging ): I had the following, kind of crazy idea. Do you think is
doable ?

Since gcc is available for almost any processor you can think of (that
means for almost any processor you want to port Kaffe to) and since
gcc backend seems to use a pseudo-instruction set very close to the
one used by Kaffe JIT, couldn't, in some way, for somebody that knows
how this works, it be used to automatically generate the
config/<arch>/jit-<arch>.def file ? or at least the op_xxx_rrr() functions
that generates the opcodes.

I don't know, I'm not a compiler expert, but it looks that almost all the
pieces are there, so it may be worth giving it at thought.

Anyway, back to coding, I'll keep you informed when I get something
working with the ARM JIT (but it will take me some more time, since
I cannot really spend too much time on it).

-- Raffaele