reading references from VM stack

Mihai Surdeanu mihai at seas.smu.edu
Thu Nov 5 20:21:47 PST 1998

I am trying to modify the kaffe VM code to do some run-time tests before
each PUTFIELD and GETFIELD. For my tests I have to retrieve the object's
reference from the VM stack. Depending on different factors (JIT versus
interpreter etc), it appears that this value may be in the memory (stack)
or some machine register. Is there some function in the VM library to
retrieve values from the KVM stack independent of the engine used, or
other machine dependent factors?

Thanks in advance,
Mihai Surdeanu		Southern Methodist University, CSE
			mihai at seas.smu.edu