native methods and static build

Tim Wilkinson tim at transvirtual.com
Mon Oct 26 21:49:06 PST 1998

Senthil Kumar wrote:

> Also, I was thinking about this findMethodFromPC() method
> why can we not stuff in the Method * onto the stack
> inside some JIT method,
>
> eg.
>
> pushl %ebp
> movl  %esp, %ebp
> pushl SOME_MAGIC_TO_IDENTIFY_IT_IS_A_JIT_METHOD
> pushl Method *
>
> ..
> ..
> popl discard Method *
> popl discard MAGIc
> popl %ebp
> ret
>
> Then getting to some Method * would be trivial?
> Perhaps I am missing something??

Unfortunately what this does is introduce an extra overhead for every method
call in order to speed up the exceptional case of looking for a method from
the PC - I thinks this is the wrong compromise.

Cheers
Tim

--
  Tim Wilkinson                         Tel:     +1 510 704 1660
  Transvirtual Technologies, Inc.,      Fax:     +1 510 704 1893
  Berkeley, CA, USA.                    Email:   tim at transvirtual.com