Patch for SunOS 4.1.3 build of 1.0.b2

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Fri Oct 9 09:23:19 PDT 1998

>>I've tested kaffe-1.0.b2 on SunOS 4.1.4 and get java source compiled without
>>any problems.
>Is this true? Have you read '/usr/local/bin/kaffe'?

Did I say I use '/usr/local/bin/kaffe'? ;-)
Honestly speaking, what I did is that just make everything and 'make
test' in test directory. It uses pizza compiler to compile java source,
and the test passed with one problem in 'Bean'. Which means I can get
'java source compiled without any problems.'.

# The problem in Bean is absolutely different story...

Based on your report, it looks that you want to try using Sun's java
compiler (sun.tools.javac.Main) rather than default (in kaffe's sense)
pizza compiler (pizza.compiler.Main). Or you may not get the trace to
access class files like './sun/io/CharToByteDefault.class'.

If you are interested to trace the problem you found, I propose to
do following.
1. Check whether pizza compiler works with explicit CLASSPATH
	setenv CLASSPATH .:/usr/local/share/kaffe/Klasses.jar:/usr/local/share/kaffe/pizza.jar
	/usr/local/bin/Kaffe pizza.compiler.Main <your java file>
   If it works, at least 'you can compile file using kaffe' :-)
   # Use 'Kaffe' rather than 'kaffe' here.
2. Check whether javac compiler works with Kaffe
	setenv CLASSPATH .:/usr/local/share/kaffe/Klasses.jar:/usr/local/share/kaffe/pizza.jar:<path for some Sun's class file>
	/usr/local/bin/Kaffe sun.tools.javac.Main <your java file>
   If it works, problem may be in /usr/local/bin/kaffe
3. Check CLASSPATH shell variable in /usr/local/bin/kaffe.
   Add some debug line (just like 'echo $CLASSPATH') in kaffe and
   check the contents.

I guess you pass test 1 (because it works here and at Alex's) and
I bet test 3 fails...

Kiyo