Suggestion...

Pavel Roskin pavel_roskin at geocities.com
Wed Oct 21 08:21:48 PDT 1998

Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Marc Jauvin writes:
> > Is there a reason for the following files to be under CVS?
> >
> >       kaffe/libraries/javalib/Klasses.jar
> >       kaffe/libraries/javalib/pizza.jar
>
> We've been through this before (I asked the same question :-)
>
> The decision was made that the cost of keeping these files in the
> repository (and up to date) was outweighed by the convenience of
> having them avialable for developers to 'bootstrap' kaffe, as well
> as for normal users who like to use CVS not having to rebuild/fetch
> them.
>
> -Archie

You could also put these files to a separate directory, so if someone
deletes this directory it will not be updated unless "cvs update -d" is
used.
EGCS project uses this approach, so you can just delete egcs/libchill
and egcs/gcc/ch and forget that strange language forever :-)
Makefile could use following logic:

if test -f prebuilt/Kaffe.jar
     use it
else
     ./rebuildLib (not always, of course)
fi

What about Pizza, I beleive that we should get rid of it. It is not
GPL'd, sources are not available. If Pizza reports internal errors under
Kaffe but works under JDK I simply don't know what to do.
There are GPL'd Java compilers galore.

Best regards,
Pavel Roskin.