LD_LIBRARY_PATH vs KAFFE_LIB

Pavel.Roskin at ecsoft.co.uk Pavel.Roskin at ecsoft.co.uk
Wed Sep 2 12:57:36 PDT 1998

Hello!

I have noticed that 'kaffe' script adds some paths to LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
show Kaffe where it should search for the native libraries. Is it not
better to use another name, for example KAFFE_LIB and define it as
LIBRARYPATH in external.h for all OS'es? I don't think that it is a good
idea to use names which may affect dynamic linkers on some OS'es. Anyway,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH instructs the linker where to search libraries while Kaffe
always loads native libraries using an explicit path.
By the way, why not put "native" libraries to $prefix/share/kaffe? They are
loaded by Kaffe, they have no headers, they can't be linked using -l (it
makes no sense). Of course, this change shouldn't affect libkaffevm.

Pavel Roskin