AWT problem on linux

Peter C. Mehlitz peter at transvirtual.com
Tue Sep 8 11:24:57 PDT 1998

On Tue, 08 Sep 1998, gelderk at natlab.research.philips.com wrote:
>If setBounds() is called on a non-Container, its parent needs a
>layout. If setBounds() is called on a Container, it needs a layout as
>well as its parent (!=null).

But that doesn't happen automatically - without a succeeding parent validate,
the parent isn't layouted. And if validate() unconditionally does a layout, we
have the same behavior, again. The only difference I can see is with cached
layout sizes of valid Container childs (siblings of the Component that caused
the invalidation) - these birds wouldn't be layouted during the JDK-
validation. However, I guess this is rather a source of confusion than a
useful feature, and don't see where it is defined in the specs. Anything I'm
missing there?

>Now you mention specs, where can I find the specs that define which
>classes and which methods have to be available (preferably with the
>required functionality)? I found java.lang, java.io and
>java.util at Sun, but what about java.awt? Do I have to take the jdk
>1.1 API documentation as the definition?

Well, there are these class library books. They provide some annotations
to the class docu, but it also is a semi-official source. Yes - I'm afraid, our
main basis are the class docus.

Peter