Errors & memory

Maxim Kizub max at immsp.kiev.ua
Thu Sep 24 12:03:07 PDT 1998

Archie Cobbs wrote:

> > > http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/api/java/lang/Byte.html
> >
> > Yes, I mean this ;-)
> > Please, check the kaffe sources :-|
>
> Oh, yes this was just fixed a couple of days ago. The new version
> of Byte extends Number.

Maybe... I did cvs checkout three day ago ;-)

> > > It looks like the only way this can happen is if "path" was
> > > null when the constructor was called...
> >
> > No, it recursivly calls mkdirs (three times, line 205, as I see from
> > stack) and then throws NullPointerException.
>
> You're right, the patch below should fix the problem... please
> give it a try.
>
> > What about memory?
>
> The comment that JIT requires a lot more memory is accurate :-)
> Also, if the incremental garbage collector worked, this would
> help things also.

You mean more then 4 times - "is accurate" ?!
What makes so big difference?

About incremental gc... I call to System.gc() when
the memory usage is more than a specified limit... But
(as I see from debug output) it do not release any
memory :-( And what should I change in sources to
get incremental GC?

PS I had a look at memory managment of kaffe, but the
scheme is too complex to understand for me :-(
How is the memory organized?

--
Maxim Kizub