FreeBSD linking problem

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Fri Apr 23 06:03:58 PDT 1999

On Apr 22, 1999, David Jones <dej at inode.org> wrote:

> The problem?  Kaffe is linked using -lkaffevm, and libkaffevm is dynamic.
> So, ld searched my LD_LIBRARY_PATH for it.  The old library, installed in
> /usr/local/lib, was hit first, and ld couldn't find the symbols.  Choke.

Nope, it has nothing to do with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or libkaffevm being
dynamic or not.  The problem is that kaffe's configure.in
automatically adds -L/usr/local/lib and -I/usr/local/include to
LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS, respectively, in a way that they're searched
before files living in the source or build tree.  So pre-installed
versions of libraries and headers may be used instead of newer ones.

IMO, that's a good argument for not adding those directories to the
standard search paths unless the user explicitly says so.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
{oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br  aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}