Unneeded acinclude.m4 in Kaffe

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Mon Apr 26 17:22:38 PDT 1999

On Apr 26, 1999, Pavel Roskin <pavel_roskin at geocities.com> wrote:

> I just wonder what's the reason to have acinclude.m4 and
> libltdl/acinclude.m4 in Kaffe?

They're copies of libtool's libtool.m4, and their existence ensures
that an incompatible, pre-installed version of libtool.m4 won't be
used in any case.

> It is even possible that those macros are not up-to-date

Nope, I update them whenever I update the rest of the libtool
utilities.

> What about acinclude.m4, it should only contain definition for
> AC_CHECK_LIBRARY, which now resides in configure.in

Yup, moving it to acinclude.m4 would be nice, but there's no pressing
need for it, anyway.  Its definition closer to its use is somewhat
clearer for autoconf newbies.  And then, aclocal is deemed to die, we
just haven't figured out a good design to be able to drop it.  So I'd
rather keep things as they are.

> By the way, AC_CHECK_LIBRARY is a bad name. I tried to find it in Autoconf
> documentation. kaffe_CHECK_LIB would be more appropriate.

Maybe AC_kaffe_CHECK_LIB.  Defining macros started with AC_ is good
because autoconf will warn if any such macro is not expanded for some
reason.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
{oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br  aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}