Generic types propsal

Jules Bean jmlb2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 27 05:22:32 PDT 1999

Maksim Lin wrote:

> Maxim Kizub wrote:
> >
> > Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > >
> > > FYI-
> > >
> > >   http://developer.javasoft.com/developer/jcp/jsr_014_gener.html
> > >
> > > Proposal to "Add Generic Types To The Java Programming Language"
> > > You need developer access.
> > >

> > I remember, someone (not you, Archie) said me - he likes
> > Java because of it's simplicuty and because it does
> > not have parametriezed types, closures and other
> > features like this...
> >
> > BTW, can we back to my patches, when Sun comes
> > closer to this feature's implementation?
> >
> > PS Maybe, kaffe core team should rethink and
> > decide to no stay in Sun's tail all the time... ;-)
> >
> > Regards
> >   Maxim Kizub
>
> Yes but just because Suns says it should be so doesn't mean it's a good
> idea.  I for one would prefer NOT to have generic stuff - apart from
> containers I still don't see where it would make my life easier using
> java.

Curious.

I agree that parameterized types are of marginal use outside
containers.  Inside containers, however, they are a god-send, make code
far simpler and much more maintainable. I know I use containers
constantly in Java....

I'd probably have adopted pizza already, if pizza source code was free.
Since it's not, I'm sticking to Jikes for now :-)

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules at jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |