SCO OpenServer, egcs & Kaffe

Oleg Yurkivskyy oleg at coolavin.com
Thu Dec 9 05:50:19 PST 1999

Hi folks!

My name is Oleg, I'm from Coolavin Systems Ltd (www.coolavin.com), Rep.
of Ireland.
We are looking for JVM for SCO OpenServer 5.

I have tried to install and run Version 1.0.5 of Kaffe OpenVM on
SCO OpenServer (declared as supported platform in README).
I had a copule of problems with config/i386/common.h
(COMPARE_AND_EXCHANGE(A,O,N)),
but I fixed these problems and run regression tests.

In JIT3 mode Kaffe does not pass every test. Tests, related with
exception handling were failed.
For instance LostFrame.java, UncaughtException.java, StackDump.java.
In StackDump test I could see 1 missing stack frame in list.
In Interpreter mode, Kaffe passed these tests, but failed others

FAIL: CatchDeath.java
FAIL: InvTarExcTest.java

These tests are not important for me, but exception handling is vital.
As for me, problem looks like fault in libc shared library, coming with
OpenServer distribution.
I mean setjmp(), longjmp() functions and signal handling.

Does Kaffe still run on OpenServer 5, or these problems related with
OpenServer 5 libc bugs
or gcc bugs ???

Does anybody knows possible system configuration (operating system,
compiler type and version)
for Kaffe (JIT or JIT3  mode) on OpenServer 5 ???
Do I need special patch (SLS) from SCO support site ???

Folllowing is my build environment

uname - X from OpenServer host machine:

System = SCO_SV
Node = tabitha
Release = 3.2v5.0.5
KernelID = 98/07/02
Machine = i80386
BusType = ISA
Serial = 4CH044706
Users = 5-user
OEM# = 0
Origin# = 1
NumCPU = 1

gcc Version

Reading specs from
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-sco3.2v5elf/2.95.1/specs
gcc version 2.95.1 19990816 (release)

Thanks.

Oleg.