[Kaffe] can the classpath project be used with Kaffe.

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Tue Feb 9 17:39:34 PST 1999

> >  I am not advocating that Kaffe's java libs be replaced, I am just
> >  saying that it would be nice to be able to compare implementations
> >  of the java.* classes in classpath and Kaffe.
>
> Certainly.  I, for one, would find it great.  There are certain parts
> of Classpath that are much more mature than Kaffe's.  Furthermore, I
> understand that Transvirtual cannot use code people contribute to the
> GPLed Kaffe in the custom edition (except code from people that have
> signed papers giving them explicit permission to do so), therefore
> adopting Classpath for the GPLed edition of Kaffe would be a step
> forward in terms of JDK-compatibility, because the Free Software
> community wouldn't be duplicating efforts.

I wouldn't say that it is us who duplicates efforts.  One could as easily
argue that it's the classpath project who duplicates effort --- especially
since they've started several months after Tim announced that he was working
with Transvirtual on a free version of the java class libraries.  But saying
that is pointless.  Because of the history of the classpath project, they're
targetting japhar first, and that's okay this way.

I think every contributor should have the choice to which project he or
she wants to contribute.    It is premature to declare one project to
be "the project" to which the free software community contributes.
Ultimately, the deciding criteria as to which project will be seen as
"the project" are availability and functionality, in that order.
People need to be able to run the Java applications they care about
on the platforms they care about.  This is what counts, first and foremost.

To that end, we'll send out a call for volunteers shortly asking
people to test their applications on the platforms they're using.
We'll be using www.kaffe.org to support that effort.

	- Godmar