[Kaffe] can the classpath project be used with Kaffe.

Tim Wilkinson tim at transvirtual.com
Tue Feb 9 18:39:34 PST 1999

We've been round and round this one so many times ...

We use the GPL because we believe in free software - we don't believe in
writing software for other people to put in commerical products without making
that software free too - and that includes Transvirtual (we don't use any
public code in the custom version unless we get explit permission, and then
we've happy to pay for it too).

Nor do we ask authors to give up their copyright on their code - it they want
to sell their work under an alternate license that find by us.  We do ask
people to declare their "cleanliness" however.

The trouble with shifting Kaffe to the Classpath libraries would be that,
appart from throwing away all the good code people have written and are
writing, you'd loose Transvirtual's ability to contribute to the project.  We
work on our libraries for our customers and release that code under the GPL as
well - we can't work on classpath libraries because we can't use that code in
our products.

It'd make me sad if that happen.

Tim

--
  Tim Wilkinson                         Tel:     +1 510 704 1660
  Transvirtual Technologies, Inc.,      Fax:     +1 510 704 1893
  Berkeley, CA, USA.                    Email:   tim at transvirtual.com